Happy New Year!!

I have always loved the New Year! This year is no different.

Did you know that in every month of the year there is someone somewhere in the world, of some religion, or culture, or nation that celebrates their New Year! We all have different seasons, calendars, rulers, etc - so it only makes sense. Celebrating the New Year is probably one of the most ancient of holidays we all celebrate.

Curious as I am, I was reading about Rosh Hashanah - the Jewish New Year that happens in September or October. It is a 10 day long celebration!! It is full of rituals and traditions - like eating apples dipped in honey reminding them of all that is sweet in life. In these 10 days families get together, they eat, pray, they blow the Shofar (ram's horn) which is to call people to repentance and some believe that God opens his book of fates and writes what will happen in the coming year and on the last day, Yom Kippur, this book is closed. I guess it matters how you behave in those 10 days matters! : ) I read that Yom Kippur is considered the most solemn day of the year and celebrates closeness with God and is a day to look at the past year and plan for the one ahead. Now I'm no expert and I'm not Jewish, so the above is only my outsider's superficial perspective. I am sure there is more to it. But even though I am not Jewish, I am adding the apples and honey to my New Year's Eve!

Part of my work here is to gather music for us to sing at "In The Key of Community". (I do really love my job!) And as I began searching this week for New Year's music, I found that the pickin's are slim! But there is a great Ella Fitztgerald song, "What are you doin New Year's Eve?" It's been covered by loads of people, but her version is the best.

So while I am looking back at 2010 and ahead to 2011, I have decided that I really have done a lot of amazing things this year! And while I am not opposed to new years resolutions, I have decided that I have already set enough goals for myself!! I still have some things to tick off my list of 40 New Things and I have my list of 40 Things I have Started and want to Finish. I mean seriously, that's enough. I haven't posted these lists yet, for lack of time and really who wants to read my to-do list anyway?? It's more interesting to read about their completion! I will say this though, there are three areas of my personal life that I continue to focus on - my physical health, my finances and the paper clutter at my house. As always I am taking the soft and loving approach to these - acknowledging that the situation is basically good, just needs a little more attention and tweaking is all! : )

Happy New Year Everyone! I hope you make 2011 an amazing year in your life!

Have a listen to Ella at this link http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYkjz-6nic8

Comments