Online Streaming No More

So I am a busy person, like most people.  I have 3 kids and work full time. I'm married and have a great partner in tackling the work of our life.  But in 2014 I embarked on a Masters Degree and now am scrambling to get it finished by the deadline.

In this process I have been discouraged, disillusioned and despairing. I have totally given up and then re-started more times than I can count.  Why? Well, first it's hard to do things you dont know how to do.  I can get in my own head too much and think myself in circles as I strive for some perfect impressive insight.  All through I wonder if what I am writing is good enough, interesting enough, smart enough or even just enough pages! 

Then I'm also actually exhausted 80 % of the days I come home from work. 

Then somedays (most days) I come home there is an unexpected amount of homework my kids need help on - that paper that needs proofing, or that project that needs supplies, or that test review coming up, and so on. Then there's a new song for piano or lines to run for the play.  Or the bills to pay or 10 loads of laundry to do.... and so on and so on.

So I can get overwhelmed. Curl up in bed and in my dread and stuck in my head; to escape my mind I watch Netflix.  Or  Amazon Prime. Or YouTube.  You get the idea.

One movie trailer or Ellen clip turns into 10. One episode into four. One movie into two.

I joke that I have a PhD in Netflix.

So about a month ago I really cracked down on the masters degree work.  I first announced I could do no ones laundry but my own - after my youngest complained I hadnt done any in 2 weeks.  He now does his own - he is 13 so this is a good thing.

Then I told Jerry I cant do the bills  anymore. So he has taken that over.

Then I sort of moved in to my office.  Bought groceries, microwave dinners and cereal and milk, fruit.  And I dont leave until I have written  for a few more hours after work. I go on the weekends too. I am officially there more than I am here.

But online streaming was my downfall. I would come home and still watch a couple hours. In the weekends I wouldn't go to the office right away. 

It was ruining my life. 

So yesterday I deleted the apps from my phone. I am only going on social media for work purposes because I manage the social media accounts and post our content.

Tonight I got home at 8:45 pm.  Ellie and I did test review for Math, I tidied up the bathroom counters (gathering the recycling), I  did a little hand washing and put in a load of laundry, I ordered contacts for myself online, I ordered glasses for my son online, I checked my personal email, moved the laundry forward to the dryer, chatted with everyone about their day, played with the puppy, pet the dog and cat and now wrote this blog. 

You can do alot in 3 hours.

I love Netflix and Amazon Prime. I will go back to online streaming when I'm done my masters degree. But hopefully not to escape my mind and my life but just to enjoy a movie now and again.

I'm excited to see how much I get done  tomorrow!

Comments