Muddy Memories

At work we have this tradition of starting meetings with a moment of quiet, or a short breathing exercise, or we go around answering a check-in question.  Last week a co-worker presented the best check-in question ever - What is one thing you used to do as a child that you would love to do again? Isnt that a great question? 

I thought awhile about it and then a memory came back to me from when I was very young.  I was outside in the rain just in front of the house and it seemed I was all by myself. I had rubber boots on and a red "puddle jumper", a hand-me-down from my older sister. This rain gear was all one piece, like a snowsuit, with tight elastics around the cuffs, a thin flannel lining, a zipper up the front and a hood with a draw string that could be pulled tight around my face. 

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." - Roger Miller 

I walked through the rain feeling the cold drops on my face and hands and yet I was warm and dry in the puddle jumpers.  I found a puddle and decided to see what would happen if I sat right down in puddle. All was quiet and I felt stillness. I was amazed and delighted that no water seeped through. So I sat for a bit splashing my hands in the puddle and kicking my toes thinking this was the best piece of clothing ever!  From that moment on I have loved the rain equal to the sunshine, and I love to dance in both. 

Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby. - Langston Hughes


I was hoping to find a photo of me in the red puddle jumpers but many years ago my mum's bag of photos from May 1974 to Dec 1976 disappeared, which is the time period I would have been puddle jumping...sitting and splashing.  

I only have one photo from that time period. It is me and my cousin in the summer of 1975. 

I was four in the photo, though because I was small for my age, I could have been puddle jumping in the red suit up to the age of 5. 


"Life isnt about waiting for the storms to end, its about learning to dance in the rain" - Vivian Greene 

If you'd like to tell me in the comments ... What is one thing you used to do as a child that you would love to do again?

Comments