Number Eight - Join to Lose

Okay, I have always been very health conscious. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Health Sciences. Health matters to me and healthy lifestyle choices matter to me. When I was a teenager and dancing ballet and jazz I was very conscious of nurition. This continued all through University. I still care about it today and yet somehow I find myself in the place of seriously needing to lose some weight. What galls me is that I can't even blame it on having three children! I gained what I have today in the four years between graduation and weighing in at my first pre-natal appointment. I have lost ten pounds here and there over the years since, but I always wind up right back at the same weight I was when I stepped on that scale at the pre-natal appointment in November 1999. It is almost as if my body has preset this number as the new norm. Some may say that's okay, but it's not when it is 25 pounds over my previous, pre-marriage normal!

Anyway, I have been back to work full time for three years now. I work in a field that mostly employs women - the programs I work in being 99.9 % women. So of course we talk about dieting. A lot, actually. There was this one diet, The Fat Flush, that was adopted by many people in the office. And it was hard not to jump on board - the results were astonishing! But I have never adopted a diet plan. I have looked at many of them. Read lots of books. And then I pick and chose the parts that make sense and seem like they are maintainable, basically making up my own way of eating. And I see success like I said before - I'll loose 10-15 pounds. But then I stop exercising or have some injury or some reason why I can't exercise. And then refraining from the sweets has always been my nemesis!! I love chocolate and I love ice cream, so the pounds creep back on.

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from a co-worker and our office is starting a KACL version of "The Biggest Loser". I have never joined a weight loss program. Certainly not one with a weekly weigh in!! But that is what this is. Here are the "rules" sent in the email from my co-worker.

"Hi Everyone and welcome to the first day of the biggest loser!

Today will be the first day of the weigh in. Sue will be supervising all the weigh ins, so feel free to drop by when you get a chance to step on the scale. I have also made some packages for everyone with some helpful starter tools. So here are the rules:

  • 1) $15.00 Start up fee (Can be paid to myself or Sue. $5.00 will go to the purchasing of prizes, $9.00 will go to the pot to win at the end of the month, and $1.00 will go to the endowment fund)
  • 2) Weigh in every Thursday
  • 3) The person with the biggest percentage of weight loss each week will receive a prize
  • 4) Should you gain weight it will cost you $2.00 (This money will go to weekly prizes)
  • 5) Eat right
  • 6) Drink lots of water
  • 7) Exercise
  • 8) HAVE FUN!!
  • 9) At the end of the month, the person with the greatest percentage of weight loss for the whole month will win 90% of the money from the sign up.

The other 10% will be donated to the endowment fund

Thanks for joining everyone!"



So far there are no photos to go with this post. There may never be. I feel exposed enough with the before and after shots of my hair. But wish me luck!! Hopefully this time the loss sticks!!.

Comments