Number 10 - Quality time: one on one!

I am the fourth of five children. There has never been a time in my life that I have gone on vacation with my parents and I was the only "kid" along. But this past weekend that was the case. And it was fun! I love my parents, they are great people. We drove to my nieces graduation and along the way spent a night, just the three of us in one room. I was wondering how that would be. Dad snored and part way through the night Mum climbed in with me because Dad was so dead tired he couldn't be budged from the middle of the bed. Then we spent another night at the hotel in Rexburg. Funny thing, both nights I came in late and I was reminded of sneaking in as a teenager! Opening and closing the door as quietly as possible, tip-toeing around and navigating in the dark, and silently slipping under the cover. Now I know that I'm a woman now and part of me just simply didn't want to disrupt their slumber, but another part really didn't want the grief the next day about how late I was! It was fun though. The trip was a bit of a whirl wind adventure, but it was very fun. They were great to travel with.


My favourite memory as a kid is climbing into bed with them in the middle of the night. I remember squeezing in between them and hoping that they wouldn't make me go back to my bed. I remember the warmth, their breathing, and that feeling of letting go now that I was safe and secure from whatever had scared me that night. Sometimes I wish I had a place to go to like that now... no monsters, no fears, let go and relax, feeling safe and secure. But now I provide that for my nighttime visitors. :)

Comments