Number 15 - me and Erik

For the first time since...well since Ellie was born, Erik and I took an overnight trip to Winnipeg- just the two of us. Doing one on one things with the kids is always difficult, mostly because the others feel so left out. The catalyst to make this happen was that Erik had a medical test up in Winnipeg. It was going to be a pretty quick trip and I thought Cole and Ellie wouldn't have much fun. When Erik and I left the two of them were in tears, really upset!! I promised each of them they would have their own day with me and Jer promised to make their time with him really fun too.

It is interesting having one child. It is so easy!!! They get all of your attention so there really isn't any attention seeking behaviour. I didn't have to break up any fights. Of course there was still the need to negotiate things - "I don't think we'll be buying that." and "sorry bud, we have to go." But I found it really interesting to spend so much time with just Erik. He talked and talked. And I discovered things about him that were new. There were three times when he was a really good navigator - pointing out which way to go. We did some fun stuff. And we ate at places we don't have in Kenora or Keewatin. My favourite of getting a smoothie, some popcorn, going to a book store and a music store. Erik and I spent some time in the Mac store and drooled over the electronics! It was fun. And of course we did a photo booth. Most of this was unplanned, it was just what spontaneously happened!

It was such a great time I really look forward to doing it again and to taking Ellie and Cole on their trips to Winnipeg!

Comments