“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”

― Albert Einstein

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

number 9 - so long my friend.

This has been on my to-do list for a very long time. For many years now I have had a constant companion, a "friend" of sorts - though I have tried many tactics to rid myself of it. On my right index finger, on the outside between my first and second knuckle, I have a small wart. I can't even remember how many years it has been there. I think I may have had it as early as 1992... definately long before I got married.

When I haven't been pregnant or nursing, I have employed all over the counter, perscription and home remedies to attack and make my body recognize the invader, evict it and repair the damage. I won't go into all the remedies I have tried, but it has gotten close to surgery at home at times. I wonder how much is scare tissue from all of my failed attempts.

A few years ago I brought Erik in for "wart removal" day at the clinic to get rid of a couple on his feet and at the time I was tempted to ask Dr. Harland to splash a little dot of liquid nitrogen my way - but I never want to be a bother so I never spoke up.

Finally, when contemplating this goal to do 39 new things - I thought that this is one thing I ought to take care of - imagine being 39 and no wart on my finger. So I finally got around to calling the clinic last week and imagine my luck the liquid nitrogen had just arrived that day - wart freezing day was the next day! I was thinking it would be quite painful, but I actually ended up asking her to do it a few more times because I didn't think it was taking. Then she ripped open a bandaid and a Dora the Explorer bandaid fell out. "Once it's open we've got to use it" is what I usually tell my kids. So there I am, aging and all, with a Dora bandaid. My post treatment instructions were to keep a bandaid on it for a few days, then cover it with duct tape for the next two weeks.

postscript - After the first treatment it looked like it was alive and well and in no way leaving, so I returned for a second two weeks later. The nurse kind of scolded me for not continuously wearing the duct tape... like I was a non-compliant patient, not following the treatment plan. So I have been wearing the duct tape now! And I have also been helping things along with some salacylic acid...oh, yeah!

"nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, hey, hey, hey good-bye".

No comments:

Post a Comment