40 is a BIG number

Forty is a number of significance. I was thinking of how many times 40 comes up in the Bible. How many days did it rain for Noah? 40. How many days did he float there waiting for the water to recede? 40. How many years did the Children of Israel wander in the wilderness before reaching the promise land? 40. How many days did Jesus fast and pray before beginning his ministry? 40. Moses and Elijah also fasted 40 days. I especially like that Goliath came out for 40 days and challenged for an opponent and on that 40th day David answered that challenge. We all know how that turned out. After I googled it I found even more, the list could go on and on.

And today how many days is lent for Catholics? 40. I am sure Muslim's and Jew's also have some 40 day observances too. In fact I was just reading that Buddha and Mahomet fasted for 40 days too just prior to starting their ministries. And that in Ancient Egypt is was said that it takes 40 days for the spirit to actually leave the body.

Other interesting things about 40

In numerology 40 basically means completeness.

And how long is a full term pregnancy? 40 weeks.

I read that in Japan on your 40th birthday you are at the beginning of "the old age" - "shoro."

And lastly what is the traditional number of lashings for punishment? ... yup.

Like I said 40 is a big number. More than half a lifetime for most people. Makes me kind of pleased to be reaching it.

Comments