Saturday = research day!!

Day 7:  farmer's market and research sprint

Have you ever tried to push jelly through a sieve, or put frosting into a cake decorator?  I can recall doing both those things under great time pressure.  I remember moving as quickly as I could to get the frosting into my mum's old cake decorator, it's a metal cylinder with a narrow opening - maybe 1 - 1 1/2 inch opening. (its the best cake decorator I have ever used, but it takes time and technique to fill it)   I was in a hurry because there was so much to do for the birthday party and I hadn't done the cake yet.   As I scooped the frosting in, it seemed resistant to go down the cylinder, so I would put more on top, heaping it.  Then with the back of the spoon I'd push, push the frosting down into the cylinder.  Much would go down, but it seemed almost an equal amount would be squeezed out and over the sides of the cake decorator instead of going in.

This is how my brain feels - I am cramming so much knowledge in, so fast but it's frustrating how stubbornly the knowledge is going in and how much seems to be like the frosting going out and over the sides.   I am making headway, but I am just wishing I could read faster, comprehend easily.  In other words, I wish my capacity was greater.  That I could just dump all this knowledge in.  I tried to do that today  There have been no classes today, but the amount of researching, reading and writing more than fills the day.

I'm constantly reminding myself to take breaks - that exercising isn't time lost from study, that a walk in the outside fresh air will give my mind room for the thoughts swirling around in there.  Right now I am going to try to relax and go to bed early.  Trying to keep in balance the care and keeping for mind, body and spirit.   My mind is maxed out, once again.

I went quickly to the Farmers' Market this morning for breakfast and I bought lunch.  A classmate with a car drove us to Wal-mart after so that we could get binders, page dividers, etc.   This is a much needed to organize all the papers.   Tomorrow is Sunday, a day to rest a bit and re-charge for the coming week.  Its the last day of the Highland Games tomorrow too.  All day I have heard bag pipes and fiddles!


Entrance to the Farmers' Market

I had a chocolate covered, cinnamon pecan roll for breakfast, at a rhubarb shaved ice and
took back to residence butter chicken for lunch. 

our common room, that is quite uncommon.  

study, study, study



Quote of the Day

A mind once stretched by a new idea, never regains it's original dimensions. 
oliver wendell holmes
(1809-94)

or

A mind once stretched by a new idea, never returns to it's original dimensions.
ralph waldo emerson
(1803-82)





LESSONS OF THIS DAY
1. Cramming things in with pressure and speed work only to a certain point.
2. The Student Union Building has a photocopier and is open longer than any other building on campus
3. again walking and connecting with nature is key to de-stressing. 



Walked: 20 minutes   Cardio: 30 minutes     Pages read:  50  Finished pages written: notes/journal only




Comments