Systematic Persistence


Day 6:  a day finding clarity, focus and some peace and calm.


Quote of the Day
by Stephen Brookfield


(the video had to be top on the post - I couldn't drag it down)


It was a full morning that started with a photo shoot on the steps on the Coady Building as students and professors from both Masters in Adult Education cohorts met for our class photo.   We had lectures today on Adult Learning Theory and Self-Directed Learning.  In the afternoon I met with my advisor.  We had a great chat that helped me to focus my literature research areas and formulate some ideas about my research.  She gave me encouragement and inspiration.  She spoke of the gargantuan task laid before masters degree students and advised me to be "systematic" in doing each step and stage at a time and to be "persistent".   I'm reminded of that saying, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."  She had a plethora of resources for me - documentaries, previous graduate research, articles, books and people she is going to try to connect me with.   I went away with a full backpack, full shopping bags, a full mind and a lighter spirit.  The question of what my literature research areas might be has been weighing on me quite heavily, so to get that clarified, gives me direction and motivation to search and hit the books.  I'm glad for the weekend ahead for me to get to it.
Me walking back to residence with all the books I could possibly carry. :)


One of my classmates, who lives locally, offered to take us to a fish and chips place on the water.  It was a beautiful drive - there were rolling hills, beautiful farms and glimpses of the inlet from time to time.   I'm leery of seafood, but the fish and chips were delicious!! (see photo below)

It was fun to leave campus and see the countryside, connect a bit with nature.   It was fun to get to know my cohort a little bit better too.  We went to a place called Cribbons Landing, it's where the North Bay Fisherman's Co-Op docks.  We ate at Boyd's - it was yummy and filling!



6 out of the 9 of us in the Masters Adult Ed - Community Development cohort. 

Some photos around the harbour. 







rocks for Ellie


LESSONS OF THIS DAY
1.  Talking to someone with more experience and knowledge is a great way to get clarity and focus.
2. Connecting with Nature settles something inside me
3. You can't fully listen and learn and critique and judge at the same moment.


Walked: 40 minutes   Cardio: 30 minutes     Pages read: 10   Finished pages written: notes/journal only




Comments